Wednesday, October 10, 2012

24 Weeks


Total Weight Loss/Gain: I was up 12 pounds total on my scale at home this morning, but between my clothes, the swelling, and having eaten during the day, my weight was ummm....several pounds higher this afternoon than it was in the morning. No fair.

Size of Baby: Claire is the size of a cantaloupe!

Maternity Clothes: Yes, please.

Sleep: Last week my reflux woke me up pretty frequently, but it's been better the last few days. This week I've been sleeping pretty well until about 4 am. Then the cat wakes up and starts acting crazy and I usually have to go to the bathroom by then, so the hours between 4 and 6 are pretty inconsistent sleep-wise. 

Movement: Yes. I feel it everyday and it makes me so happy! It's such a neat reminder that no matter what I'm doing, she's in there, and that is a beautiful thing. Cam felt a kick on Friday night - it was so cool to see how excited he got! When I think about him holding Claire, I just melt.

Cravings/Aversions: Goldfish - I'm all about the cheddar kind right now.

What I Miss: Normal sized ankles!

Gender: It's a girl - Claire Campbell Todd

Mood: Pretty good. Still stressed but I'm making it!

Symptoms: I had my 24 week appointment today so I have lots to share. 

I talked to Dr. Orth about how bad the reflux has gotten. One thing that's happened a couple times lately is I fall into a deep sleep and then, all of the sudden, jump out of bed because it's like I'm choking on the acid. The other night I ran to the bathroom and got sick right afterward. It's awful. I've tried all kinds of home remedies like eating mustard and drinking apple cider vinegar. She gave me some tips that might help and gave me the okay to take a higher dose of Zantac. If that doesn't help, she's going to prescribe me something. 

In the last couple of weeks my ankles have started swelling. I'm trying to be really conscious about putting my feet up more. Dr. Orth noticed it before I even mentioned it to her today, which worries me a little bit. She said usually swelling doesn't start until about 30 weeks, so this is a little early. We both agreed this is likely a result of my job - I'm on my feet so much. At this point in pregnancy, she says the only way to relieve swelling is to lay flat, so sitting down won't even help, although I think it does help some. It's something we're going to watch, but she seems to think it could continue to be an issue. 

I've been having lots of pain in my left upper rib area. My doctor thinks it's probably a muscular/skeletal thing that will continue as my body shifts and makes room for the baby. 

Milestones: I found the perfect toile bedding! I'm a toile fanatic! It's beautiful and exactly what I had in mind! Claire also made her first trip to East Texas this weekend for my family reunion. If her childhood is anything like mine, it will be the first of many trips up that way! Can't wait until she can attend the reunion "on the outside" next year!

Anything Else You'd Like to Share: Claire measured a week ahead today so she could be a big baby! She would certainly come by that honestly, given that her Daddy weighed almost 10 lbs. Of course, last month she measured right on time, so it'll be interesting to see how she's looking next visit. Dr. Orth thinks I probably won't make it to my due date, between her possibly being big and my swelling...eeeek!

Sometimes I think about what it will be like after she's born and I realize how much I will miss being pregnant. Yes, I go on about reflux and all that, but it's such a nice feeling having my baby with me all the time. I know we'll be together all the time after she's born and the joy of having her here will outweigh any sadness about pregnancy being over, but I will miss it.

What I Look Forward To: Not worrying about my job anymore and being able to focus on my baby girl once maternity leave begins. That whole maternity leave process has been very challenging....far more challenging than it should be, quite frankly. Not gonna lie - it's been hard on me.

And I'll close with a bump picture. I look huge! The shirt I'm wearing is not maternity and I feel like I look bigger in regular clothes.


1 comment:

  1. Pee before weighing if you want your number to be lower ;) ha! At the doctors this past time I weighed myself before going to the bathroom, then for kicks decided to see what it would be after and I had lost over a half pound. Just from peeing! CRAZY!

    Also, you do not look huge. You look so cute!! Love the baby bump! And the little baby that's creating the bump :)

    Ps. Love the little china buffet thing!

    ReplyDelete