Monday, October 24, 2011

Tales from the Classroom

I have to write this down or I'll forget it...

Today was glorious. I showed a video and was able to get caught up on all the things I neglected last week while I was working at school until 9 pm several nights (I'm not kidding) grading projects. By the way, my personal hell is grading middle school projects. Just FYI.

Anyway, the video was an episode about the American Revolution from the History Channel series "America: The Story of Us". It's a modern look at historical events and it's really interesting. Part of the video is various well-known Americans offering commentary on history. The first VIP they feature is Colin Powell. He's talking about the Continental Army in the Revolution, blah blah blah. Cue one of my eighth graders:

"Did he fight in the Revolution?"

SERIOUSLY?!?

You mean the Revolution that happened over 200 years ago?

The one that happened before television was even a glimmer in anyone's eye?

I can't make this stuff up. This would be cute if this was a kindergartener, but this is a 14 year old...4 years from voting age. Usually when a kid asks a particularly ridiculous question like that, I try to be extra sweet to them, because the other kids will generally pile on and make them feel dumb. But all I could do was shake my head and say, "Sweetie, no".

To borrow my favorite of my Dad's expressions, some of these kids don't know their ass from their elbow.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment