Thursday, December 20, 2012

34 Weeks

I'm sorry that lately these updates are never on Wednesdays when my new week of pregnancy starts - seems like every Wednesday is so busy!



Total Weight Gain: 26 lbs on my scale at home, 29 on the doctor's scale

Size of Baby: Claire weighs as much as a cantaloupe!

Maternity Clothes: Yes! Yesterday at work, one of my coworkers laughed and commented on my cardigan not being maternity - thing is, it was maternity! Even some maternity clothes aren't long enough to cover this huge bump! For the last few days I've been sitting around at night with my shirt pulled up over my stomach because very few t-shirts cover the bump comfortably anymore. 

Sleep: I've eaten late a couple of times this week, which leads to being so uncomfortable at night.   

Movement: Yes, lots! She's getting so big that it can be a little uncomfortable. And apparently some of what I've been thinking were kicks have actually been hiccups!

Cravings: Christmas cookies are top of my list right now.

What I Miss: Eating a big meal and not feeling so bad afterward.

Gender: Sweet baby girl - Claire Campbell Todd

Mood: Tired, stressed, crazed. Just like all of you are this time of year...it's the American way!

Symptoms: Pain in my hands and wrists, rib pain on my left side, wearing a bra feels like some type of ancient binding torture.

I had a little scare yesterday. My sister let me borrow her portable blood pressure machine, so I've been occasionally checking my blood pressure, especially since Dr. Orth is watching it because of my swelling and sister's history of preeclampsia. Tuesday I noticed my numbers were high for me - normally my blood pressure is below or at 120/80. I took the machine with me to work on Wednesday and kept a running log of my readings throughout the day, most of which were high. Now, I'd hazard a guess that my blood pressure is always elevated at work, pregnant or not. Especially considering it's the last week of school and I'm trying to finalize semester grades for 140 students. And finish sub plans for maternity leave. And interview for long term subs - did I mention my subs both bailed this week? Anyway, after some urging from my mom and sister, I called my doctor and they said I could come in and they'd check out my weight and urine. A rapid weight gain and/or protein in the urine are signs of preeclampsia, as are swelling and high blood pressure, of course. I was really nervous all day at work trying to get stuff done, thinking I might not be coming back. I didn't feel good either. I convinced myself I had preeclampsia and that like my sister, I was going to go to the doctor, be sent to the hospital, and never leave. My sister was diagnosed right at this point in her pregnancy and then she delivered at 35 weeks. My weight was the same as last week and I had a trace amount of protein in my urine, so those were not a concern. My blood pressure was higher than it'd been all day though - I know the top number was 144, can't remember the bottom number. And my swelling was out of control bad - the worst it's ever been. My feet and ankles looked like the elephant man - I keep thinking about taking a picture to post but I can't bring myself to - it's so gross. Dr. Orth decided to send me over to Labor and Delivery at the hospital to have my blood pressure monitored for a couple hours. I immediately started crying and called Cam to come meet me. It was our wedding anniversary - is there anything more romantical? I thought I'd just sit there in my regular clothes and be monitored but they had me in a triage room in a hospital gown. The good news is that my blood pressure went way down once I got to the hospital...at one point the top number was 100. My blood work all came back great and so they let me leave after a little over an hour. No preeclampsia diagnosis, thanks goodness. 

I'm going back to the doctor for my already scheduled appointment tomorrow, so it will be good to see how things looks then. Today was the last day of work before the break, and it truly couldn't have come at a better time. My plan is to rest and do things I enjoy. Dr. Orth says I need to find a way to be really lazy. Unfortunately, she recommended that we not travel to Houston on Christmas like we'd planned. She was like "What if something happened and you had to deliver there?". She just doesn't think I should travel this far along and that I would swell horribly traveling in the car and be miserable. I know she's right, but it's hard. I don't like to change plans on people or inconvenience them - especially because of something having to do with my body. It will be the first Christmas that Cam spends away from his family and I hate that. I know it's okay though - all that matters is that Claire is alright! I want her to stay put for as long as possible. I will say though that I'm reaching the point where I'm looking forward to not being pregnant anymore. I don't want to wish away one second of this experience, but when I think about six more weeks of being so uncomfortable and worrying constantly about issues like this, I just feel very tired. I don't think there's been a single pregnancy symptom that I haven't dealt with in a big way. It's a blessing to be pregnant though, and I know that. 

Milestones: I can't think of anything this week! The monitor at the hospital picked up hiccups - is that a milestone? I'd been thinking those were kicks this whole time. Everyone at the hospital commented on what a mover she is!

Anything Else You'd Like to Share: I feel like I've shared a lot already. Sorry for rambling!

What I'm Looking Forward to: Christmas and the break

No bump picture this week, but believe me - I'm huge!

No comments:

Post a Comment