Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Matt Damon Takes a Cameraman to School

I saw this today and had to share it. Well done, Matt Damon! I do not always agree with him on political stuff, but he is right on about this one and seems like such a stand-up guy.



What bothers me the most about questions like the one this reporter (and many others in the media) asks is the presumption that all teachers have tenure. Most media news outlets are based in New York, a union state. In Texas and other right-to-work states, there is no such thing as a teacher union or tenure. And the notion of job security is laughable...what happened to me and thousands of other teachers in Texas this last year is proof of that. Teachers are subject to the same layoffs brought on by downturns in the economy as people in the private sector. I find it so incredibly irritating that everyone just assumes teachers have access to tenure. And if we're talking about unions, what about other unionized employees? Why aren't union guys who make tires or build cars treated with the same suspicion that educators are?

So there you have it. Probably the only time you will catch me ranting about anything slightly political on this blog, or in public for that matter. I was raised not to talk about politics or money in public...but I made a little exception for Matt. :)

2 comments:

  1. Well said! Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's ignorance or agenda (probably a bit of both). Maybe we'll get to see the Bourne Education?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Matt Damon! And by the way, the tenure assumption annoys me, too.

    ReplyDelete