Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday Randoms

- I'm enjoying my last week of summer before returning to work next Monday. My plans are to relax and fit in a couple more summertime lunches with friends. I'm trying very diligently not to be anxious about the new school year. I've already caught myself laying awake a couple of nights sweating all the small stuff. I'm not worrying about the obvious things like meeting my students or how the first day of school will go. Instead, I worry about all the minutiae. What will my new room be like? What if I get in there and there are no desks? How many bulletin boards will I have? When will I move all my stuff into my room? Because of all the madness last year, I lost my classroom and now have to move into another one on a different floor away from all the other 8th grade teachers. And my new room is a former special education classroom, so there's no telling what's going to be in there. Normally I could just go up to school and check it out, but our building is under construction and we have been forbidden from coming up there this week. But I'm trying not to stress about such things...they will all work themselves out and I am so lucky to have my job. After all, I told myself I would teach in a bathroom if I was able to get my job back, so this will all be fine.

- The Help comes out tomorrow and I am so excited!! Cam and my sister's husband both happen to be going out of town on Thursday, so a girls' movie night with my mom and some family friends is being planned for Thursday night as we speak. I can't wait to see this movie - I know it will never live up to the book (they rarely do), but the movie looks pretty good!

- It's hot outside, y'all. Really, really hot. So far Austin has had 55 days this year of temps over 100 degrees, and we are on track to break every record on the books this summer. And we haven't had a proper rain shower since September. The drought is getting pretty scary - fires are popping up all over the place, one last Friday was way too close to my parents' house for comfort. I'm praying for the many farmers who are dealing with this and all the people who have to work outside in this awful weather.

- Have you ever watched The Talk? It's a CBS daytime talk show a lot like The View, except sane. It's the one thing I've been consistently watching while I've been home this summer (except the Casey Anthony trial) and it is really good. It's just a panel of very different ladies who seem to legitimately like each other, which is refreshing. And this may sound weird, but one of the hosts, Julie Chen, has the most soothing voice ever. I want a recording of her voice to help me fall asleep when I'm laying awake worrying about desks and bulletin boards - ha!

That's all folks! Stay cool!

3 comments:

  1. It's so hot the shade tries to find shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hot you could fry an egg on an ice cube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and your blog! Hope you enjoy your last week of freedom!

    ReplyDelete