Thursday, September 8, 2011

What's Going On...

Happy Thursday! And happy football! Cam just danced around the living room because he is so giddy that football is back. He is happily watching the Saints/Packers game and talking smack with his Fantasy Football foes via text!

The wedding weekend was fantastic! We got to spend so much time with a really great group of friends and I loved it. The wedding was beautiful and very fun. Dan & Katrina had the BEST first dance I've ever seen. They did an elaborately choreographed dance to a Frank Sinatra song. They practiced it for months and didn't tell anyone what they were planning! When we saw them a couple months back, I asked them what they were dancing to and they very casually said, "Oh we're just gonna dance to this Sinatra song", like it was no big deal. When it was time for them to dance, someone handed Dan a fedora-type hat and they started dancing like Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain! It was awesome!

As we drove to the wedding, we could see smoke in the distance and later smelled smoke in the air. As best I can tell, this was the beginning of the horrible fire in Bastrop. Luckily, the fire wasn't close to the wedding site. The next couple of days were pretty scary - there were multiple fires all over the area, the worst being in Bastrop. While the other fires are now contained or close to it, the Bastrop one is not. Over 1300 homes have been lost in the Bastrop fire, as well as several dozen others in the various fires around the area. It is so awful and I'm praying for all the people who have been affected. We need rain now. It's hard to believe that while there is flooding in the Northeast, the state of Texas is on fire and we can't get a drop of rain. To make matters worse, there are fires all over Northeast Texas too. One of the worst fires is in Cass County, where my Dad is from, and it has burned 7000 acres. Sometimes it really seems like it could be the End Times.

We had our own little fire scare on Tuesday afternoon. There was a fire near our complex, but luckily it was put out fairly quickly. Cam went home as soon as he heard and started getting stuff together just in case, but thankfully it didn't come to that. The night before I had made a list on my iPhone of the important stuff we would try to take if we ever had to evacuate. Of course, material items are just things and don't really matter. As long as Cam, Aurora, and I are okay, none of the "stuff" really matters, but it's still good to be prepared. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to compare this situation to anything the people in Bastrop went through - we are very blessed this was so minor. It's just really nervewracking when you hear "fire" right now. Unfortunately I found out about the fire right before I had to teach a class. I was so freaked out and trying to formulate sentences was difficult, but I pushed through it. I didn't want to scare them by telling them about the fire since it was nearby and some of my students live in the same apartment complex (btw, how awkward it that?!?). This is one of the things I loathe about my job. If there's ever anything going on outside of work, I can't take a few minutes and just deal with it because I have thirty 14-year olds waiting on me. In my next life, I want a job where I can deal with my own stuff when it comes up and where I can go to the bathroom any darn time I please. On second thought, in my next life I don't want to work at all! ;)

Have a great weekend y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment