Monday, September 3, 2012

What a Week!

The past week has been bananas! The first week of school is enough to make it a whirlwind but there was a lot more going on than just that! Today begins day 8 of being sick with a pretty nasty cold/allergies. I've been sitting here in my pajamas all day trying to figure out why I can't seem to keep my eyes open and then I remember how crazy it's been!

Sunday - I wake up feeling sick - sore throat, congestion, etc. Not the best way to start off a new school year. I rally through and try to enjoy the last day before the circus starts!

Monday - First day of school...enough said. It was a good day! My feet and back hurt something terrible by the end of the day, but my cold/allergies feel better when I'm busy working. Rather than coming home and putting my feet up, we leave to grab dinner on the run before we meet the girl who is buying my car to fill out some paperwork. 

Tuesday - Second day of school - the hardest part of the first week is talking nonstop. It's inevitable - you can usually be the type to plan the most student-centered lessons, but the first week has to be teacher-centric (going over procedures, explaining where everything is in the classroom and how certain assignments need to be completed). While we were working, my Mom (bless her!) stayed at my house waiting for the Rooms to Go delivery man to bring our new dining room table and china buffet!!!! Yay! It makes me laugh because one of my pregnant coworkers told me she'd gone home after the first day and laid on the couch and napped until her husband got home. I came home to see my new table (love it!) and spent the entire night cleaning out everything from my car and setting up our buffet. After over 2.5 years, I was finally able to unpack the china, special serving pieces, and glassware that we didn't have room for in our kitchen. We've been able to use a great deal of the kitchen gifts we got as wedding presents since right after the wedding, but all the really special pieces that wouldn't be used often had to stay packed up in closets since there wasn't room for them...until today! I'm so happy to finally have this done! It's awesome to have access to all the beautiful wedding gifts we were blessed to get. Now I know I didn't have to come home and do this all night. Lots of people would have waited until the weekend, but 1) I am nesting big time, 2) I've been waiting a long time to do this, 3) I knew there would probably be no time this weekend.

Wednesday - Good day at school! Another day of talking my head off! I don't know if it's being sick or pregnant, but I find myself perpetually out of breath when I'm talking! I like my kids so far - knock on wood, they seem so much more mellow and young (in a good way) than my group last year. Of course, there will be challenges but I've been praying for a nice group for this year in particular with being pregnant and out on maternity leave. I don't honestly think my heart and my self-esteem could take another year like last year. I know this is the honeymoon phase, but I have a good feeling so far. After finishing up at work, I fill out more paperwork for my car sale, run by the vet to buy Aurora's cat food, and then meet to exchange my car for a big fat check! Holla! It was sad to say goodbye to my little car but I felt so happy to have it done. Selling a car on Craigslist is akin to Medieval torture - I've never encountered so many strange and screwed up people in my life. So the fact that this nice, normal, legit girl ended up buying it is so wonderful. Cam came and picked me up, we ran to the bank, and then to Target for some essentials. Shoutout to my Campbell - he also took our little Aurora to the vet this morning before work. I've been very worried about her these past few weeks as she hasn't been herself at all. It killed me to have to miss the appointment  (stupid job!), but one benefit of Cam and I being on such different work schedules is that he can do things like this and not miss any work. And our little girl got a great report from the vet - she has gained a pound (she had lost weight when we took her in March, which worried us b/c she is so small to begin with) and doesn't seem to be suffering any bladder problems. The diagnosis is just that she really likes to be outside and doesn't like it when she can't be and she's dealing with having a little brother at home! Here's hoping that all hell doesn't break loose when we bring a real human baby home next year...

Thursday - Cam takes me to work this morning since I'm carless. It works out well because I had a microwave I needed to bring up to school and it was really too heavy for me to carry in my delicate condition (teehee). Between that and some school supplies I got for my kiddos, both of our hands were full! After school, my mom and baby Grace picked me up right after the bell rang so we could make it to my credit union before they closed. I did some paperwork I needed to do in anticipation of getting a loan for my new car and then we ran to Babies R Us so mom could pick up a high chair seat for Dolly to use at her house. Then we stopped by McDonalds and had a snack...don't judge! I take her car home so I can borrow it for work on Friday.

Friday - I've never needed a Friday so badly! For the second night in a row, I've barely gotten any sleep due to congestion. I oversleep, waking up at 6:50 when I've got to be at work at 7:45. Technically I really need to be at work at 7:35 at the latest thanks to a new traffic system they've enacted this year at school. They've eliminated a ton of staff parking, so now if you're not at work early, you won't have a place to park. Lovely! I teach my first real history lesson of the year on exploration and colonization. It goes well and the kids ask lots of good questions! During third period I notice that my vision on my right side is blurry and I'm seeing spots. During my planning time next period I run down to the nurse and ask her to take my blood pressure. After my sister's experience with preecalmpsia, I know that seeing spots usually means something's up with blood pressure. Sure enough my bottom number was high - not alarmingly so, but obviously enough to make me feel weird. I go back upstairs and eat my lunch and take a break, and start to feel better. The nurse had me come back during my lunch break a couple hours later and my blood pressure was the same. She gives me strict instructions to put my feet up this weekend and not do any housework. Haha-have we met? After work, I head to my parent's house to drop off my mom's car. I find out that my grandma has fallen and broken her hip. She is almost 90 and is just getting over a terrible knee break back in April. She's in the hospital but they are waiting to do surgery because she has a fever. It's been a whirlwind day for her, so I wait to go visit until later in the weekend. In the interest of getting stuff done, Cam picks me up and we run to Carmax to look at a car that has popped up on their website that we're interested in. The car is awesome - we've been looking at cars and doing lots of research for several weeks now, and this one just feels right. We tell the guy we want the car and are ready to put down earnest money/whatever we need to do to hold the car and he informs us that Carmax doesn't hold cars. Shoot. I don't know if the car would've sold to someone else that weekend, but with it being a holiday weekend with lots of big car sales going on, it seemed like it could happen. Dealership guy is able to hold the car through 9 pm on Saturday. We go eat Mexican food and then head home and fill out an online prequalification application for a car loan through my credit union.

Saturday - Cam picks up some breakfast tacos and we turn on the season opener of College Gameday!!!! Such happiness! I call the credit union when they open up at 9 am and they tell me that I need to go wait at a branch location in order to try to get the loan processed that day. I drag poor football-deprived Cam with me to the credit union and we sit. The credit union gives anyone sitting in a branch lobby priority in the queue for a loan officer. The loan officer calls me and we sit and work out the terms of the loan over the phone (very bizarre). Then we sign the paperwork with the branch manager and head to Carmax. I call USAA and add the car to our insurance policy so Carmax will let us take the car home. After signing a bunch more paperwork and writing a big check, we get the keys to my beautiful blue 2011 Ford Escape! I am in love with this car y'all! It is beautiful, roomy, and easy to drive! I've never had a car that was this new...so I drive home feeling like I'm living pretty high on the hog. Cam races off to his Fantasy Football draft party. He is the Commissioner of his league this year so this is a big day for him! I hang out at home and rest a little and then do some forbidden housework. I know, I know...but I'm nesting and I can't relax until my house feels cleaner. I also spend the day monitoring things with my grandma. Her surgery goes well and she gets moved to a regular hospital room. My mom is at the hospital from 6 am until very late in the night. My Uncle Steve flies in from California. My poor grandma has a pretty rough afternoon/evening. Her heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen levels are all over the place and things are pretty worrisome. Surgery at her age is never going to be a breeze. My sister and I really want to go to the hospital, but my mom encouraged us to wait until Sunday. There were 4 family members there already and lots of medical people in the room all day. My grandma is exhausted and we worry about overwhelming her. They give her a blood transfusion and check her lungs for blood clots (all clear) and she starts to feel a little better. 

Sunday - Cam and I hang around the house and try to rest a little. My grandma is doing better this morning - such a relief! We run a couple errands and then meet up at my parent's house to go visit her. My grandma seems good given the circumstances, and my mom says there is a world of difference between how she seems today compared with yesterday. We get to visit some with my Uncle Steve and my cousin Jerry - it's sad how it takes something bad happening for us to catch up with each other, but it was nice to see them. We head home and hang out at my parent's house. My parents made dinner for us - yummy steaks and potatoes. My appetite is back - I haven't been eating very much over the last few months, but tonight I eat almost everything on my plate. We watch the season finale of Breaking Bad (amazing!) and then head home to feed our little animals. It is a wonderful feeling to know we have a whole other day to rest! Unfortunately my overindulgence at dinner comes back to haunt me and I feel miserably full until the next day! I wake up several times in the night with terrible indigestion/heartburn! Blah! After throwing up until I was 15 weeks along, I was looking forward to the "glorious second trimester!" It's definitely better than throwing up, but the heartburn (even with medicine) and congestion are about to do me in. But truthfully, I really love being pregnant. It is an amazing feeling and I'd throw up/have heartburn every day for 40 weeks to get to have a sweet little baby.

And that brings us to today. Now do you see why I haven't gotten out of my pajamas today? This isn't meant to be a "poor me" post, it's more of a journal of a crazy week for me to look back on. Some day when I'm beating myself up for being lazy, I'll come read this - lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment