Wednesday, January 16, 2013

38 Weeks

Total Weight Gain: Not sure because I can't get on a scale right now!

Size of Baby: Claire Campbell is the size of a pumpkin. That is so big!

Maternity Clothes: On occasion I wear a maternity shirt, but most of my clothes are pjs/t-shirts right now.

Sleep: AWFUL. I have insomnia. I think some of that is normal end of pregnancy insomnia because I'm uncomfortable, but it's being compounded by the ankle. About a week ago, I started to have this terrible sense of claustrophobia around 11 pm every night. I think it's the endless feeling of facing the long hours of the night stuck in bed after you've already been in bed all day. Between being so pregnant and wearing the boot, being comfortable is impossible. I finally got a decent 5 hour night of sleep yesterday night, but most nights are much worse. At least this is good practice for when Claire arrives and I'm up at night a lot! For now, I'm napping a lot during the day while I still can. 

Movement: Lots, especially at night!

Cravings: Pizza, Freebirds, and Salt & Peppers Chips. Also, I'm very blessed to have a ton of very generous coworkers, friends, and family who've been bringing us delicious meals. We've been eating really good!

What I Miss: Not having to go to the bathroom all the time. I think I'm probably the first person whose ever requested a catheter as soon as possible when I go in for my induction so that I don't have to crutch to the bathroom every 30 minutes with an IV and monitors wrapped around me. I also could really use a drink! 

Gender: Sweet baby girl - Claire Campbell Todd! I can't believe we will see her in just a week! Cam and I were talking today about how seeing her for the first time will truly be the best surprise of our entire lives! She is such a little blessing to us.

Mood: Oh Lord...don't get me started! I'm feeling excited, frustrated, nervous, grateful, resigned to my situation right now and also still mad as hell about it...it just depends on when you ask!

Symptoms: Going to the bathroom constantly, Braxton Hicks contractions every night, and pretty serious carpal tunnel. I wake up some mornings and can't even stretch my fingers out. The other day my mom handed me my niece and my wrist just gave out and didn't work. It's pretty scary when you can't depend on your hands and one of your legs. I'm not going to lie - I'm really looking forward to not being pregnant anymore...and it may take me awhile to work up the nerve to get pregnant again. Don't worry grandparents...I will!

Milestones: I can't believe I'm 38 weeks! 

Anything Else You'd Like to Share: I had my last doctor visit today! I'm a fingertip dilated (about 1/2 cm) and 50% effaced. Her head is way down too - my doctor felt it with her hand, which is just wild to me! All of this is really good because induction is easier if your body has already started the process of getting ready for labor. Dr. Orth said the contractions I'm having every night are helping this process along, even though they obviously haven't turned into real labor contractions yet. 

We'll check into the hospital next Tuesday at 6 pm to start Cervidil to soften my cervix overnight. Sometimes this is enough to start labor on its own. If not, they'll start Pitocin on Wednesday morning. After that, most babies arrive before 5 pm!

I'm ready but also very nervous. I'm terrified of a c-section - normally I wouldn't really be worrying about this, but I don't want to contend with two different incisions. More importantly, I've grown very dependent on my abs to do everything since I can't use my leg. I'm pretty much convinced there's no way I'll be able to get out of bed at all if I'm recovering from a c-section. Of course I'll do whatever we need to in order to get my girl here safely, but I know how essential being up and around as soon as possible is for a quick c-section recovery, so I'm just praying it doesn't come to that since I'm not really an "up and around" person at the moment!

I'm also nervous about the flu. It's so bad this year and can be very dangerous for infants. I think Claire will have some antibodies from me getting the flu shot, but it still frightens me. I just already feel this huge responsibility to protect this baby as much as possible. 

What I'm Looking Forward to: Meeting Claire Campbell Todd - we are so excited! I just can't wait to hold her in my arms and tell her how much I love her!

My best attempt at a bump picture...



Well I guess this will be my last weekly pregnancy update, since this time next we'll be in the hospital! It's been fun - thanks for reading along! I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post, but I hope to blog about Claire's growth and development on a regular basis!

1 comment:

  1. So so so so excited for you guys!! I can't wait for her arrival next week and getting to meet her shortly after :)

    Don't worry too much about the flu - if she's getting breastmilk, she'll be getting a lot of antibodies from you and since y'all won't be going a lot of places, the chances of her getting it will be slim. Just remind people to be respectful and if they're sick or think they're getting sick to delay their visit until they're well. Also make people wash before holding her :) Oh and make sure Cam washes his hands a lot at work and avoids sick co-workers. It also wouldn't hurt for him to wash & change clothes when he gets home before holding her to prevent any germs he picks up from getting to her.

    So sorry about the lack of sleep :( I can relate (except for the whole ankle thing) as I'm not getting much either. Hope it gets better for your last few nights before Claire gets here. The not sleeping is way more worth it though when you have a beautiful baby to stare at so it won't feel so bad once she gets here :)

    I'm still sorry we can't do anything to help you guys out. I really wish I could!

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete