Friday, January 4, 2013

Thankful

My surgery this morning went well. Claire & I held up fine and everything went as planned. I went in with a lot of fear and dread and have never felt such relief as I did when they wheeled me out of the operating room. I will not sugarcoat things - ever since the spinal block wore off, I've been in the worst pain I've ever experienced. When we got home, I writhed around in pain for hours. But I'm proud to say that our little girl is such a fighter - I could hear her heartbeat on the monitor during the entire surgery - it was like a lifeline to me and such a comfort. Apparently she moved the entire surgery! I'm so proud of her - not many babies come into the world already having made it through a surgery!

My last post was my pity party. I'm sure there will be others - this is a long road and not a day has gone by yet where I haven't cried due to pain or fear. But today I want to focus on what I'm thankful for.

- My iPod. It got me through the surgery when I felt nauseous and when I heard the doctor hammering pins into my ankle.
- An amazing nurse who held my hand during the scary parts.
- My Campbell, who has never wavered in his support for me. Real love is not just being there for someone when they're pretty, thin, and healthy. Real love is someone willing to pick you up when you can't lift yourself and waking up at 3 am to take care of you when you're hurting. I couldn't have dreamed up a better husband. 
- My mother, who has literally dropped everything to take care of me. I can't even begin to describe all that she has done for us. She is selfless.
- My daddy, who rubbed my head before surgery when I was nervous and is always such an encourager to me and everyone else around him.
- My sister, who always makes me laugh and looks at me with a knowing look that says, "I understand how you feel." She went through a ton of surgeries before she was even a teenager and she's my hero.
- My in-laws, who drove through terrible weather from Houston to be with us today. Their presence lifted our spirits so much. After taking care of me for a week, Cam needed his parents to take care of him, and it did him so much good.
- Family and friends who checked on me and sent well wishes.
- Elena and Theo who sent yummy cookies to brighten my day. Elena knows sugar is my love language!
- Our pets. Aurora the cat lays in bed with me all the time and is my furry nurse companion. Teddy the puppy's sweet eyes make me feel better, always.
- Our comfortable home. If this had happened a year ago, we would've been in a tiny apartment and I would have lost my mind in this situation. 
- Hydrocodon. I feel so fortunate that there are safe options for pain management during pregnancy.
- A hospital staff that I have so much confidence in. I am a worrier and a bit of a control freak. I struggle with trusting people to do the right thing when I'm not able to watch them - crazy, I know. As I laid on the operating table today and watched a team of people around me, each efficiently buzzing around with their own designated task, I knew that I could close my eyes, drift in and out of sleep, and be taken care of by good, capable people.
- Good health insurance. My surgery today cost close to $15,000, not including any doctor's fees, radiology, etc. The portion of that we have to pay is not cheap, but it's relatively small compared to the total.
- My bed. It's my rest area, work space, and comfort zone right now. I love it. 

And if you're reading this, I'm thankful for you! Nothing is easy right now, but I'm very blessed. Have a wonderful weekend and be safe!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it went well. I know it makes it such a world of difference when the people around you are SO behind you. I'm so proud of you mere. I would have probably crumbled with fear. You are truly an inspiration and you give me strength and hope for the things the may come.
    Hope your day is filled with rest and comfort.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete