Friday, July 15, 2011

The Duchess

Can we just talk a little bit about Kate?
And her coats?
And her boots?

And her dresses?

And that hair?

OH EM GEE.

There is little doubt that Kate's wedding and recent trip to North America firmly established her as a fashion icon on the world stage. I'd been following Kate's style before that, back when she was known as "Waity Katie", a nickname coined by the British Press because she had been "waiting" so long for William to propose. Gah, can you imagine the pressure on both of them? Poor kids.

I've always been fascinated by the Royal Family. I love the history of it all. My Mom was always a fan of Princess Diana, and my sister and I loved her too. Mom always says she and Diana had their babies together: Prince William and I were born a few months apart, as were Prince Harry and my sister Elizabeth. I remember waking up early to watch a royal wedding with my Mom when I was a wee lad (maybe it was Fergie's?) and we got up early to watch Diana's funeral years later. I had a huge crush on Prince William and remember wondering if he might possibly break protocol and marry an American girl living in Cental Texas. But alas, I found my own Prince Campbell and I think it's safe to say Wills definitely found the girl for him.
The Royal Wedding will definitely go down as a highlight of this year for me! I got really into it and watched all the coverage for weeks. My Mom, sister, and I had a wedding watching party and stayed up all night to watch everything happen live. It was so much fun! My cute Mama even had decorations and English food. After hours of waiting, when we finally got the first glimpse of Kate's dress, I literally squealed with glee. Not only was her dress beautiful, it was lace! I love lace - I think it is romantic and timeless, which is why I chose it for my own wedding dress.
I was so impressed with her dress selection as well as all the other wedding details. To say it was a gorgeous wedding would be a huge understatement. I could go on and on, but I'll stop. If I sound a wee bit obsessed, it's because I am. I've just been so impressed with Will and Kate and how they've handled the pressure and scrutiny with such grace. For royalty, they actually seem quite down to earth.
Maybe the tradition will continue and Kate and I will have our babies together? That would be awesome! Either way, I'm very much looking forward to whatever these two do in the future.

1 comment:

  1. The Wedding Watch party still seems like a dream to me. Maybe because we stayed up all night, or could be the fairy tale wedding. Based on your students' scores on the TAKS test they took the next day (100% passed), looks like your lack of sleep had no impact. We'll have to do it again when Harry ties the knot - with Pippa??

    ReplyDelete